Hi,

Just did a server with the same setup (Gigabyte dual xeon mainboard,
based on Intel E7500 chipset, dual 3-ware 8-port ATA-raid with 250GB WD
disks, 1 GB RAM.

I choose for xfs-sources, because it gave me the best options for
optimizing the file system for the ATA raid array's. But you might want
to choose for vanilla-sources if you don't need xfs. Basicly, keep the
kernel as simple as you can (depends on your needs).

APIC is default when you build an SMP kernel, if you need more detail,
there is plenty of documentation on the web.

HT should indeed just work when you run a SMP enabled kernel. On my
Gigabyte board there was no option for HT, I only see 2 processors. (I'
ve heard not all Xeons/P4's have hyperthreading). If the
processors/mainboard support it, I know it works, my personal
workstation at work has a single 2.6 GHz P4 and it behaves like a dual
processor machine.

For make options, look at /etc/make.conf, uncomment the -march=pentium3
line (do not use -march pentium4, you will run into problems).

You will probably use -j3 if only two processors are seen by the
bios/OS.

One good advice: start compiling gentoo form stage 1, on this kind of
hardware it does not take very long to get a basic gentoo system going.

Good luck!