On September 22, 2003 03:40 pm, Pupeno wrote:
> I was just thinking if it wouldn't be a good idea to integrate
> bittorrent into ebuild so people could use it to download the
> sources from diferent mirrors and even people could share a bit
> aliviating mirrors' task... of course, the current way should be
> available always and bittorrent as an improved way if it is
> posible (that is, if bittorrent is installed (and enabled ?) and
> there's a .bittorrent file for the file that's going to be
> downloaded). Or this is already done and I didn't know ?
> Thanks.

My apologies in entering this thread very late.

Regarding Bittorrent:
Bitorrent requires a separate instance and a separate port for every
file that you are sharing. When some people will be sharing
hundreds of files this is simply not a workable approach.

Bittorent is optimized towards dealing with a small number of large
files under very high (initial) demand situations. Our needs are a
little different, we are dealing with large number of much smaller
files under moderate demand and without the initial spike in
demand.

P2P in general:
The content of the network needs to be tightly controlled. We are
dealing with source code here and the consequences of someone being
able to inject malicious code or malicious files into the network
would be unthinkable. Therefore ALL files on the network MUST be
vetted by a central server, and ONLY files allowed by the central
server would be allowed on the network. All files transfered over
the network MUST be checked to make sure that they match the
checksums of the authorized files.

As far as I know there are no p2p networks that allow this much
central control, the trend in p2p networks is away from central
control because of liability issues.

I am in the process of writing a p2p system specifically for gentoo
that will have the necessary controls in place to make it safe for
distrubuting source code.  It will be optional and controlled by
the FETCHCOMMEND= setting in make.conf

I also want to create a network that is 100% legal content so that
when the RIAA or MPAA goes on a rampage we will be unaffected.

- --
Fred Van Andel
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
GPG KeyID: 76526AD599455482
GPG fingerprint: 64E4 4BAB 9C99 D565 3E3C F5D0 7652 6AD5 9945 5482