Donnie Berkholz wrote:
The configuration tools provided by XFree86 are generally enough to get
the job done (X -configure, xf86cfg -textmode, and xf86config are three
primary methods).
Oh no. I usually want a higher screen resolution than the one the monitor was designed for, e.g. I want 1152x864 on a 15inch monitor instead of just 1024x768. And this 20inch thing here can do 1400x1050 without problems. So why isn't that resolution easy to configure?
I used this very same monitor on a windows machine. The driver I always selected did also only allow 1280x800something, 1280x1024 (both not 4:3 format like 1280x960 would be), or the next higher available resolution: 1600x1200! What happend to the resolutions between them? What kinda silly driver implementation is that, I wonder.
I had to use Powerstrip to get the resolutions, that I want.
So, it's just understandable that using Linux and XFree you wouldn't get your desired resolutions much easier.

Why don't you copy the complete XF86Config over
instead of trying to just get relevant sections, and probably missing
something small but important?
I actually tried this, but it didn't help.
I found some helpful hints in the gentoo-desktop mailinglist. One has to change some switches, which by default enabled using EDID. These are:
Option "UseEdidFreqs" "off"
Option "IgnoreEdid" "on"
Put them into the "Device"-Section and it works. Well it doesn't work perfectly for me but I'm satisfied for now.
This EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) caused my problems. I found out about it in /var/log/XFree.0.log, where it's said that some resolutions go beyond the maximum the EDID allows.

Many of us have laptops with 1400x1050 resolutions that work quite well.
I believe I used xf86cfg to generate my XF86Config, although it's been a
while.
It's all absolutely no problem if you have a display (TFT or whatever) or a monitor, that can do 1600x1200 at 100Hz or something - you just configure the resolutions you want and don't even need modelines I guess. Your monitor will automatically go up to the maximum available refresh rate without further discussion.
It's just, my monitor isn't one of those :-(

http://www.sh.nu/nvidia/
Thank you for the link. I already heard about the modeline generator they speak of there - gtf - but that modeline howto could help a bit.

Anyway, thank you for trying to help.

Regards,
Frank.