Roel Schroeven wrote:
MAL wrote:

Ernie Schroder wrote:

On Wednesday 08 October 2003 10:13 am, Roel Schroeven wrote:

I run gentoo on a laptop with a Radeon Mobility 7500 video card. I
emerged xfree-drm as recommended in the Gentoo forums, and I think
3D really works. glxinfo|grep direct   says Yes.

But when I run glxgears in almost full screen, I get only 50-60
frames per second. Is that normal, considering that full screen is
1400x1050, or should I be able to get more than that? If so, any
pointers to more information on how to do it?

First, you should see if AGP is running. Try something like this:

$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

Of course you'll have no "nvidia" but if you're using the ATI agp, you should have something similar.

No, there is nothing similar for either the XFree86 DRM ATI drivers, or ATI's themselves.

Best I can think of is to look through your dmesg output for agpgart's output.

$ dmesg | grep -i agp
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.AGP_._PRT]
Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
agpgart: Detected Intel i845 chipset
agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xec000000
[drm] AGP 0.99 aperture @ 0xec000000 64MB

Looks good, no?

Yep. I'd say that it's just the performance of the graphics card then. Bear in mind that glxgears probably isn't the most efficient 3D app ever written, and it's probably relying more on the raw data moving capabilities of your graphics card, (to fill a 1400x1050 screen - nice res :), than the opengl capabilities.

The only real test is to run quake3 on it :]

MAL