On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 16:56:01 -0400 Robert Kruus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It is rumored that on Wed, 08 Oct 2003 07:10:53 +0800
> William Kenworthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > for me stability is the main issue.  Never had much luck with the
> > binaries: a bit flaky but I also think its a YMMV issue.
> >
> > And not having much luck compiling 1.1 so far either.  Still not ccache
> > friendly, and looks like either distcc or disk space burped at ~10hours
> > into the compile ...
> >
> > BillK
> >

> > On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 04:07, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> > > Hi,

> I had the ximian patched version compile and run fine under 3.3.1
> (from www.breakmygentoo.net)

Here's another $.02 worth.

I compiled OO once (after waiting weeks for a trivial bug to get resolved), and
I never noticed much difference from the binary versions.  With the older
versions, there was a difference in startup speed (about 25 seconds!) using the
binaries, but on the current binaries the difference is negligible.

I haven't studied the differences in the gentoo binary ebuilds and the
binaries downloaded from OO, but I'm using the later (1.1.0).  Startup speed is
8 seconds (3 seconds if previously loaded), which is good enough for me.  I
haven't encountered very many bugs with any of the versions, and the 1.1.0
binary is certainly stable for me (I only use word processing, spread sheet, and
PDF document creation.)

Until something is done about the reliability of compile from source ebuilds (it
makes no difference to me whether the source of the problem is OO or GCC or
whatever), I won't be launching any 15 hour 4+gig compiles just to get the same
results as I get from a binary install.

YMMV.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the