Hey Ian,

Aha....it took me 2 months (well on an off :) ) to figure out how to get
my gentoo box talking to the two sound cards (an SBLIve! and an SB
AUdioPCI) in my system via alsa. But I
think it was all damn worth it. I plan to use the box as a dj mixing
station and with my mixing coming around this weekend I think I'm gonna
have the neighbours pissed at me for a while...anyway...this is kinda what
you need to do:

1. Compile alsa with support for both sound cards...I am assumning both
your cards are suported? Which cards d'u have in there.
2. Edit the /etc/modules.d/alsa file to include device references ..such
as /dev/dsp2 and /dev/mixer2 etc to the
new card...there is some sort a skeleton outline to follow for multi-cards
in there...but some parts of it were not that clear...i'll send u mine
when I get a chance...maybe tonight.
3. Run modules-update
4. Restart devfsd
5. Pray that the device nodes dsp2 and mixer2 are created ... i did and
they weren't but u may be lucky ... as I did some other stuff that made
this not so striuaghtforward.
6. If 5 failed then you need to create the new nodes manually (some
alsa-dev posting discussed the fact the there is something wacky with the
soundcore.o and devfs and something or other....If you get this far I'll
send the manual dev node creating commands that you need. They are
online also...somewhere on the alsa-project website...I don;t remember
where though.

Best of luck,

Simon