begin  quote
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:08:55 +0200
Frank Reich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I wonder what's going on with those version numbers. I currently use a
> gentoo-stable kernel (sys-kernel/gs-sources-2.4.21_rc8). But for some
> time now when trying to update a package it tells me to update
> sys-kernel/linux-headers as well - from 2.4.19 to 2.4.19-r1. Why
> 2.4._19_, although I use 2.4.21? How's that meant?

old thing. in usr/include/linux there should be a sanitized set of linux
headers that don't really do much but support glibc in its internal
process of dealing with the kernel. This version shouldn't change, as
all moving interfaces should be found through /lib/modules/`uname
-r`/build/include/linux (i think)

The update to -r1 is a very small one, that just adds a virtual to tell
your system that it has the OS headers, something which was not
necessary when we first packaged linux-headers, but that had to be added
now that we have more versions here.

> Shouldn't I have installed sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.4.21, which is
> also available in portage-tree?
Nope.

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!