On Tuesday 14 Oct 2003 14:15, Sami Näätänen wrote:
> If you really want to safe those modules add /lib/modules to your
> CONFIG_PROTECT and then all modules which would be deleted by an
> unmerge wont be deleted.

Thanks Sami.  I also have the same problem with i2c and lm-sensors.
I've added the following to /etc/make.conf:

CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc \
/var/qmail/control \
/usr/share/config \
/usr/kde/2/share/config \
/usr/kde/3/share/config \
/usr/include/linux \
/lib/modules \
/lib/modules/2.4.22_pre2-gss \
/lib/modules/2.4.22_pre2-gss/misc \
/lib/modules/2.4.23_pre6-gss-r1/misc \
/lib/modules/2.4.23_pre6-gss-r1"

I did an emerge nvidia-kernel and then rebooted into the other kernel to
find that nvidia works.  Thankyou.  I haven't checked i2c and
lm-sensors yet but I hope that they too will be intact for both
kernels.

I picked the directories by looking at the console at the end of the
emerge for lines not having "cfgpro" in them.

> Now that etc-update supports auto merging the current kernel
> (/usr/src/ linux) will be even updated without you needing to make
> anything, because the mtime, size and md5 sum of the nvidia module is
> the same as the earlier install and thus etc-update will auto update
> it.

Not sure I understand this.

Peter