On Wednesday 15 October 2003 02:34, Spider wrote:
> begin  quote
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:46:00 +0100
>
> Peter Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I would like to try out the NPTL thread package with Gentoo, but I
> > have
> > some questions :-
> >
> >    2.  From the forums, it looks like I need 2.5 or 2.6 kernel.  Is
> >    this  right ?  I thought redhat 9 was using 2.4 with NPTL
>
> Correct. You'll need 2.6.  then rebuild glibc with nptl in USE. (I think
> the right glibc version is hard masked too, just to make it even more
> exciting)

There are several glibc versions that are hard-masked but the latest straight
~x86 version contains working nptl. I believe the hard-masked contains later
versions of nptl that have been shown to have serious bugs. The latest ~x86
version of glibc worked fine for me with nptl.

BTW, after recompiling glibc, you'll also want to recompile Sun's jre/jdk if
you're using it/them and also want to recompile openoffice. They'll work
without doing so but will only take advantage of nptl afterward.

Regards,
Jason