Thanks Øyvind!!  At least I'm not the only person that has had this problem!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Øyvind Stegard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 12:53 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New gentoo user

On Wednesday 15 October 2003 15:11, Chase Jeffery D wrote:
> Hi everyone!  I'm compiling my own kernel and am using gentoo-sources.
> Does anyone have a recommended list of options to choose in genkernel
> --config.  I'm trying to get netfilter/iptables to compile correctly
> and its not working....  Basically I want a Fast kernel that will
> allow me to use netfilter/iptable to setup a firewall?  Any help would
> be great!!!
>
> Thanks,
>       Jeff
Just a note: I have never been able to compile/emerge iptables when using
gentoo-sources, but it works fine with vanilla-sources. (Which is OK, I use
iptables on my firewall/gateway box which doesn't need the spiffy fast
super-response features of the gentoo-sources kernel, anyway)

The iptables emerge process stalls on "Calculating dependencies..[something]"
if I remember correctly, with gentoo-sources. I have tried many different
configurations to make it work, including reducing the number of netfilter
modules to the bare minimum, no luck though.

Regards,
Øyvind

--
< Øyvind Stegard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 < University of Oslo, Dept. of informatics.