On Thursday 16 October 2003 05:54, Matt Garman wrote:
> Can I run two (or more) simultaneous instances of emerge?  Would this
> create any consistency problems or is the Portage system smart enough
> to synchronize its accounting?

1. running two emerges in parallel might brake those binaries.
2. you don't get any speedgain from doing it.
3. if you want to speed things up do a 'emerge -f appname1 appname 2' prior to
     emerging. that will download the sources only and you won't have a delay
for downloading.
4. you can run 'emerge appname1 appname2 appname3 appname4 ....' in one
command.

> Also, is there a difference in specifying a package name by its
> fully-qualified name as opposed to just the package name?  In other
> words, is there any difference between the following:
>
>       emerge net-www/mozilla-firebird
>
>       emerge mozilla-firebird

I think former is needed to emerge GRP packages on install.

> If not, why would you ever use one over the other (unless two or more
> packages had the same name)?
>
> Thanks!
> Matt

Cheers