On Thursday 16 October 2003 18:33, Matt Garman wrote:
> I'm a bit worried about data corruption with reiserfs, and more
> concerned with stability and reliability than performance.  So I think
> I'd like to convert my reiserfs partitions to ext3.
>
> What would be the best way to accomplish this (without doing a
> re-install)?  I was thinking of the following procedure:
>
>       - boot from the LiveCD
>       - use tar to backup a partition to some temporary location (making
>         sure tar preserves links, permissions, ownership, etc)
>       - re-format the partition as ext3
>       - use tar to move the data from the temp location to the newly
>         formatted ext3 partition
>
> I would repeat this procedure for every one of my reiserfs partitions.
>
> Finally, I would update /etc/fstab to reflect the changes.
>
> Assuming I didn't make any mistakes in the above procedure, would this
> preserve my system integrity?

I swapped out my root/boot drive in my server without a hitch.  Here's what
I did:

1. Put the larger drive in the system along side the root/boot drive.
2. Booted off the Gentoo CD.
3. Mounted the current boot/root drive on /mnt/root-old and /mnt/boot-old.
4. Mounted the new boot/root drive on /mnt/root-new and /mnt/boot-new.
5. Ran 'cp -av /mnt/root-old /mnt/root-new' to copy data from the old root
to the new.
6. Ran 'cp -av /mnt/boot-old /mnt/boot-new' to copy data from the old boot
to the new.
7. Put the new root/boot drive in place of the old.