On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 17:25, Wes Gray wrote:

> If you end up doing this please post how it went. The question seems to
> be, just how complete is tar?  And what options does it need to catch
> everything.

I recently did a quick backup/restore with tar and ssh to convert two
partitions (/home,/usr) on this machine to a new filesystem. My basic
procedure was:

>From host1:
tar zcv /home | ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED] "cat > /backupdir/home.tar.gz"
(covert /home to new fs and remount

>From backuphost:
cat /backupdir/home.tar.gz | ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED] "tar -C / -zx"

I didn't have any issues with permissions/symlinks although it's
possible I just got lucky. If you want me to check for specific problems
that I might have missed, just ask.

Doug