On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:24:58 -0700 Chris Graves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >1. When shutting down, gnome 2.4 always produces a dialog box saying
> >(similar words to these) "these applications (all of mine are listed) won't
> >restart, you will need to restart them manually."  But they lie.  Most of
> >them restart, but all crammed onto the first desktop!  Is there any way to
> >cause gnome not to restart them, as it promissed?
> >

> If I'm thinking of the same dialog box... it's referring to restarting
> the programs in the same instance as they are closed in (e.g. a browser
> opens to the homepage instead of the page last open) Using gnome-session
> you can specified what programs you would like to start when gnome comes
> up; as well as whether or not to save the last session. Choose not to
> save last session and gnome will open with only the programs you specify.

I've gone to Applications -> Desktop Preferences -> Advanced -> Sessions and
unchecked the "Automatically save changes to session" box, but that has no
effect.  All sessions are saved, whether I want them or not.  Another idea?

> >2. When I right click and select properties for a desktop icon, I'm only
> >allowed to select an icon from /usr/share/pixmaps.  Any way to get around
> >this and use icons from other locations?  For example, OpenOffice has a
> >suitable icon available, but I can't find any way to use it, so I have to be
> >content with the"footprint."
> >

> Couldn't say, all the icons I've ever obtained I put in that same directory.

This one solved, thanks to Barry.  I just didn'tread the dialog box closely
enough.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the