On Oct 18, 2003, at 6:44 am, rh wrote:

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 11:21:33 +0900
Jason Stubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This sounds like there is a reference to vi in /var/cache/edb/virtuals.

Jason

You are good...there is a reference to 'vi' in /var/cache/edb/virtuals.
Can I just edit that file? The next time I 'emerge sync', does this file get
overwritten?

As Mr Stubbs has pointed out, you can edit this file. But I think you need to leave the "virtual/editor" intact with *some* appropriate editor (eg: app-editors/nano)

On a similiar note, I had gnome installed but then removed it as best as
I could from my system yet a reference to gnome-base/gnome appears in the
var/cache/edb/world file. Can I edit it safely?

Again, yes you can edit this file, but if you removed Gnome by `emerge -C gnome`, then I think it should have removed the world entry automagically. I think you can run `emerge --depclean` to tidy up once you have edited the "gnome-base/gnome", but BE SURE to run it with the --pretend option first & study the output.

Stroller.