Hi,

I own an Compaq Presario 920EA laptop with an Athlon XP 2000+ mobile
processor. It uses AMD's PowerNow! speedstepping technology to preserve
battery power when the system load is low. This works just fine in
Windows XP since there is a driver (amdk7.sys) for the CPU feature, but
I don't think there is one for Linux (??). I would like to install
Gentoo on my laptop (I have gentoo on all my other desktop PCs), but if
that results in an ever-running (and noisy!) CPU fan and short battery
life time, I need to think twice about it. What's the state of the
PowerNow!  technology on Linux kernels (2.4 series) ? If there is
support, does it scale automatically, like in Windows, based on system
load ? This is really the only thing stopping me from installing Linux
on my laptop.

Any input appreciated, thanks.

Øyvind

--
< Øyvind Stegard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 < University of Oslo, Dept. of informatics.