On 17:34 Mon 20 Oct     , ?????? wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In my company, there are some Windows computers, some Linux computers.
> And I want to setup a cluster that can turn these computers into a
> "superior" computer, and have little change.
>
> I just consider to have file shared by openafs or codafs, but I am not
> sure about their performance. Could nfs do the same thing as openafs?
> Is there any distributed filesystem works better?
>
> About parallel computing, I considered beowolf and openmosix.
> But is seems that if I use beowolf (based on mpi?), all programs must be
> recompiled in order to use the cluster resource; and if I use openmosix,
> only linux can be merged into the cluster.
>
> Could someone offer me a solution?
>
> Thanks.

I'm openmosix user currently, and can comment that it works quite well in my setup.
As far as I know, beowulf is no longer freely available.
I do not know though how you are going to make non-linux (windows) machines to be part
of your cluster (it is possible with MPI last I heard), unless you setup linux over
there.

Regarding file systems - I'm using NFS now (although you can use MFS (included with
openmosix)), and it works quite well for me.

Keep in mind (if you consider openmosix), that you will need to have the
same optimizations on all nodes (e.g. software that compiled for AMD with
athlon optimizations will not migrate on Celeron. So basically you will want
the same optimization flag for all (e.g. i686) nodes)

--
-Miha