Hi seam

Thanks for your advice.

sean m. wrote:

- snip -
Run etc-update. Type the number of each file that shows up, and merge.
If you _know_ you have never edited any of the files left on the list,
you may choose to use the '-5' option.

I am not very clear of what the advice indicated ".... then update ALL of your configuration files'. Whether they meant the config files of all packages running on Gentoo 1.4 or only 'portage' Some of those config files have been edited otherwise the packages can't run properly. What is '-5' option?

etc-update will update all the config files for portage. but make backups of files like /etc/make.conf, because -5 option will overwrite all the files that etc-update lists. you'll lose your USE variables and gentoo mirrors and all otherwise.

I hesitate whether to proceed UPDATE as recommended if all config files will be rewritten. Not only adding extra work, but the difficulty to me is I am new to Gentoo only having it running for one (1) day. I am inexperienced to re-fix them back if Gentoo can't run properly afterwords. Is there any notice/record that which config file(s) has/have been edited so that I may have a chance to trace it/them back after update?

B.R.
Stephen