Michael Rasile wrote:
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:33:59 +0100, norm wrote:

You know, now that you mention is, I seem to recall that it wanted
replace mine once too. Luckily I caught it ! This is one thing
where
Gentoo's package system needs work. With RPM or APT, it always
backs up
your current file(s) and appends a meaningful name to it.

I agree, If I had been a complete newbie I would have really panicked and probably went back to Mandrake (god forbid).

It's funny that you mention that. I'm not a newbie to Linux but I was to gentoo some months back when I did my first update and was told (nicely, of course! :-))to do an etc-update. Well, I never dreamed that /etc/fstab would be overwritten. Duh, this was my oversight, of course, I'm not blaming anyone. But I didn't catch it so when gentoo wouldn't boot, I thought the system had given up the ghost. I reinstalled gentoo. I believe I must have had a lot of free time back then. :-) Had I caught it, I could have simply corrected the /etc/fstab overwrite and things would have been fine. I didn't go back to Mandrake, however. :-))). It happened again, but the second time, I was more careful. I agree with what someone said earlier, is it really necessary to even offer to change /etc/fstab??

/etc/fstab is a config file just like anything else in /etc. etc-update of dispatch-conf or any other tool you may choose to use to update your config files had no way to know whether changing a certain file may render your system unbootable.

--
Andrew Gaffney