I do not run with ~arch simply because I want a stable system by default. If I want something (like Thunderbird) I will do the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge blahblah. With ~arch you run the risk of unstable packages being installed.

Yes, you can add that to /etc/make.conf. It appears you did not do an etc-update to make.conf - which is good <G>. I'd suggest the next time etc-update wants to update make.conf do it manually and add what you're missing.