Thank you for your hints, Spider.

> perhaps.  did you know there's a reason why --deep isn't the
> default behaviour of update?  *Cough*

Yes I knew that. But I think that's no reason for --deep to work since
yesterday, and now not anymore :)

> however, there's likely to be something that causes it, if you're
> stubborn, go through qpkg -nc -I, package by package and do
> "emerge -Duvp <package>"    until you find the culprit.

Yeah, I really get stubborn over this :) What I did was:

# for FILE in `qpkg -nc -I`; do echo $FILE >>out.txt; emerge -uvp $FILE
>>out.txt; done

With -Duvp xfree was a dependancy for _all_ packages :S
With -uvp xfree was _no_ dependancy at all!

Something smells bugish here ;)