Hall Stevenson wrote:
It's time to start cleaning up my system and I've removed all the older kernels I've emerged and tried. I'm happy with gs-sources-2.4.23_pre7 so the rest are already gone. I do have sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.4.19-r1, which I didn't install. Maybe it came down with the original portage sync or whatever I did. I imagine this is for people who use "emerge -k some-kernel" since they won't get the full source files and more importantly, the headers (they're needed when compiling some apps, right ??).

Anyway, can it go ??

Short answer: no.

Long answer: it was installed as part of the original 'emerge system'. glibc was compiled against these headers as are a lot of applications. Its generally a good idea to keep glibc and applications that link to glibc on common ground.

--
Andrew Gaffney