On Sunday 26 October 2003 2:07 pm, Kwame Opam wrote:
> Hello. Well, I got Gentoo running today after a very long weekend. I only
> have a few problems now though. Firstly, I need 3d acceleration for my
> Radeon 9000, but I have no clue how to get it. After I configured X, it
> complained that it can't find the radeon drivers. I downloaded Xfree-drm
> and everything, but I'm worried that since it's an AGP card it still can't
> properly detect it. Also, I need my printer to be detected but I don't know
> how to make my computer see it. Any ideas?

Kwame,
I have 3 of these cards, and would suggest building a 2.6-0test8-mm1 (or
test9) kernel, and compiling the ATI stuff directly into the kernel, like
below. Then there's no need to mess with ATI drivers or DRM- it's all already
supported. Most comments I've read say the stock ATI 2.6 support is just as
good as any of the ATI attempts at Linux drivers. Works great- I get 8000+
FPS @16bit 1024x768 with these cards. Here's a really good way for a basic
trial, that I posted on the Gentoo forums..

Robert Crawford
I've been downloading from kernel.org, and getting mm patches for each 2.6
version, with excellent results. Here's my method, for 2.4 or 2.6 kernels.
 I never compile as root in /usr/src anymore. I made a /home/wrc/kernel
directory, and untar there, then cd as user to the linux-2.6.0-testx
directory, and do a normal:

 Optional:apply mm patch (or others I might wish to try)
 make mrproper
 make xconfig
 (optional- after xconfig edit Makefile cflags and console output for 2.6,
they have compile output "silent" by default. I'll post my edits if anyone
wishes)
 make clean
 make bzImage
 make modules
 THEN SU TO ROOT
 make modules_install
 mount /boot
 cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/linux-2.6.0-testx-mmx (I use no System.map,
or initrd)
 Edit grub with nano -w /boot/grub/grub.conf  (or kde superuser filemanager)

 and add your new kernel stanza to grub.conf, then reboot to new kernel.

 Works for me every time, with no problems whatsoever. I've had mixed results
with genkernel, and any Gentoo kernels, so I've settled on the above "method
of choice." I do however, run very lean systems, and others might need
support for scsi, drivers, etc that I don't use. But for the basics, this
works very well.
HERE'S MY GRAPHICS .CONFIG SECTION- Only change to your motherboard, if not a
VIA chipset:

CONFIG_AGP=y
# CONFIG_AGP_ALI is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_ATI is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_AMD is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_AMD64 is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_INTEL is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS is not set
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
CONFIG_DRM=y
# CONFIG_DRM_TDFX is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_GAMMA is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_R128 is not set
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y
# CONFIG_DRM_MGA is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_MWAVE is not set
# CONFIG_RAW_DRIVER is not set
# CONFIG_HANGCHECK_TIMER is not set
(The FB stuff is Optional- not fully developed yet- can cause problems)
CONFIG_FB=y
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_IMSTT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set