On Nov 1, 2003, at 5:34 pm, Dennis Freise wrote:

I think something like this would be suitable, if run monthly by cron:
  $ find .Maildir/.Some\ Mailing\ List/cur/ -mtime +28 -exec mv \{\}
.Maildir/.Some\ Mailing\ List.Archive/cur/ \;

Not a bad idea, I'll keep that idea as a backup plan :)

I'm interested to hear why you think of it as a reserve-only solution.

My courier-IMAP server runs on hardware not *that* much newer or faster
than yours - a PII 400...
The go slow only _seems_ to happen when I open the particular folder
that is especially full - if I restrict myself to folders containing
only a few hundred messages everything seems fine....

Yes, that's exactly what I found. For me, it's especially the linux kernel
mailinglist folder (about 10.000 messages now). "terribly slow" means, that
I have to wait for approx. 2-3 minutes for the folder to open, and at least
20 seconds for each message. I'm currently using ReiserFS, which seems to me
like the best choice for many small files.

That's interesting. I'd find that degree of slowness quite unacceptable - mine takes a few seconds to synchronise. The way that Apple's Mail.app (the client I use most all the time) seems to work is that if I wake the computer from sleep after, say, 24 hours, then it will syncronise the mail headers in all folders before getting any message bodies. If I go straight to a folder with 100 new messages, then, I guess it takes 20 seconds or so to read the first new messages. But that's the longest it ever seems to take, because Mail.app caches messages stored on an IMAP server.

I hope you find this helpful, and would be indebted for any comments on
my questions,

Thank you very much for your idea. I started this thread because I wondered
how other people manage large amounts of emails over imap - there are a few
points that are really important for me: the archived messages should be
accessible from anywhere on my lan and the messages should be searchable
(prefered to be more comfortable than 'grep' ;)).

Well, I hope you find it useful. Since my mail client allows me to do searches, that suggestion would work for me. Well, actually, I'd change it to a bash script that did it for each of my mail-list mailboxes, but you know what I mean. If you want something else, why not put them in /home/http/htdocs & run htdig on them..?

*  net-www/htdig
      Latest version available: 3.1.6-r4
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 2,020 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.htdig.org

Stroller.