On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 10:58, Alan wrote:
> Hey folks.  Based on some of the recent discussion about RAID and SATA
> and whatnot, I was wondering if anyone had any benchmarks for SATA vs
> IDE performance.   I found some stuff over at storage review, but that
> was more focused on SATA vs SATA performance.  I remember a review on /.
> sometime ago when SATA was just coming out that basically concluded that
> it was find and dandy, but not much faster than the equivelant IDE
> storage.  I have SATA on my A7N8X-DX, and was thinking of using it up,
> but wanted to find out a bit more first.  It looks like the drives are
> only a couple of bucks more than the same size/cache IDE drive, but is
> there any performance gain (other than the fact that the MB has built in
> SATA RAID0 of course :)
>
> alan

Alan,
   SATA as a bus interface runs up to about 150MB/S, so that's a bit
better than 3x what you'll likely get out of an IDE interface.

   However, just because the cable is capable of running faster doesn't
mean the benchmark will be higher. It will depend on how much of that
150MB/S your drive is capable of producing, and then how good the Linux
drivers are for your controller. I understand the Silicon Image
controller is well supported, so I'm building a machine based on the
A7N8X Deluxe also, but I won't start installing Gentoo until sometime
next week.

Cheers,
Mark