On Nov 4, 2003, at 4:58 PM, Luke Davison wrote:

Chad,

Please enlighten me on what I need to do to have the system use the 3gb.

In your kernel (assuming make menuconfig), set:

Processor type and features / High Memory Support

The options are: off, 4gb, or 64gb.

Thanks to all who responded. My problem as a BSD person, a newbie to gentoo and linux (I have run SuSE and Mandrake in the past but never rebuilt a kernel or anything) was that I was not re-running /sbin/lilo after every kernel rebuild. The idea was foreign to me since the kernels always have the same name. But if I do not re-run /sbin/lilo, it hangs with (I call me boot "Gentoo")

hangs up here

If I do that (/sbin/lilo) after rebuilding the kernel it works.

I had already had the correct parameters in my experimentation in order to get the memory to work, but had not been able to boot due to this problem with lilo. I appreciate all the response and the above "Luke Davison" response is correct, set the High Mem (in my case to 4gb since this is a normal motherboard) and set user memory to 3gb.

Thanks
Chad