On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 05:57, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> At 08:51 AM 11/6/2003, you wrote:
> >I'm trying to do an
> >install, but so far I cannot seem to build a kernel that boots.
>
> What makes you think this is a kernel/motherboard issue ?? That is a very
> popular motherboard so I don't think there's any major conflicts or
> incompatibilities with it.

Hall,
   In fact I went with this motherboard exactly because it's popular.

   My reasoning on the kernel I'm building being the problem is that the
kernel on the LiveCD does boot, but the kernels I build all hang at the
step where it finds the Silison Image SATA chip. From a thread I was
doing yesterday, the LiveCD kernel does this:

NFORCE2: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:09.0
NFORCE2: chipset revision 162
NFORCE2: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
      ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
      ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
SiL3112 Serial-ATA: IDE controller at PCI slot 01:0b.0
SiL3112 Serial-ATA: chipset revision 2
SiL3112 Serial-ATA: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
      ide2: MMIO-DMA , BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
      ide3: MMIO-DMA , BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio

and then finds all the drives, and then goes on with the boot process.

In the case of the 3 kernels I've built so far it does this:
NFORCE2: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:09.0
NFORCE2: chipset revision 162
NFORCE2: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
      ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
      ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA

and then hangs.

> When you say it doesn't boot, exactly what happens ?? Does the boot process
> stop somewhere, and if so, where ?? Do you not get past the GRUB or LILO
> sequence at boot ??
>
> Hall

I tried using the install instructions

cd /usr/src/linux && cat > /proc/config > .config && make oldconfig

but apparently I'm not doing that right as it hangs the same way.

The LiveCD says it's 'some version of 2.4.21', while the gentoo-sources
I emerged was 2.4.20-r8. (I believe) I tried aa-sources (2.4.22-aa1) but
again I didn't do the build right since I continue to hang at this
point.

Thanks for any pointers.

- Mark