On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 12:55, Matt Chorman wrote:

> Quite simple, really.
>
> $ emerge nvidia-kernel
> $ emerge nvidia-glx
>
> Remove any references to glcore or dri from the start of XF86Config. Change
> the driver to
>
> Driver="nvidia"
>
> Under this line, add
>
> Option "RenderAccel" "true"
> to enable hardware rendering in X.
>
> Viola! 2d/3d accelerated desktop with nvidia drivers!
> - --
> Matt

Matt,
   Thanks much. You proved I couldn't even spell NVidia! No wonder I've
been an ATI guy up until now! ;-)

   OK, everything is emerged and I've modified the XF86config file as
instructed. I'm getting an error message

NV: could not open control device /dev/nvidiactl (No such file or
directory)

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!

   Indeed, /dev/nvidiactl does not exist.

   Are there any specific options I needed to enable in my kernel to
make this work? agpgart? Other stuff? dri/drm? That's required by the
Radeon family, but this is a new box and new kernel, so likely I didn't
get somethign turned on if required.

Thanks,
MArk