On 2003.11.10 06:38, Mick Wever wrote:
Hi, i am new here so please excuse me if my questions are dumb (I have
looked around already).
During the gentoo installation process:

1. 'emerge gnome' mozilla1.4 failed with please use gtk+2
flag. So now gtk+2 is in /etc/make.conf. But most of gnome was already
compiled. How do I compile (all of) it again?
emerge --force gnome ??

`emerge -epv gnome | grep gtk2`

according to that, the only package that would be installed by gnome on a fresh system, that has gtk2 as an option, would be mozilla, which gnome's new browser, epiphany, relies on. Things that are written for gtk+ 1, and gtk+ 2 are not really compatable with eachother 'out-of- the-box', programs need to be ported from to support gtk2.

Mozilla, for example, has an option to use it's gtk+1 support (default) instead of the gtk+2 support that has been written for it (i believe it still exists as patches to the source), so there is an option. However, gnome's new browser requires mozilla to be compiled with gtk+2 support enabled. It should be documented, yes (bugs.gentoo.org), but it is still better to have the option.

Gnome 2.0 and higher, on the other hand, was written specifically for gtk+2, and there is no gtk+1 support to speak of (except i think it still pulls xmms for some reason). There is no need to recompile all of gnome. Since there wasnt an option, it automagically used gtk+2.

--

Chris I

Ignorance is when you don't know anything and somebody finds it out.