On 14 Nov 2003 09:49:28 -0500
Ron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 08:08, Harald Arnesen wrote:
> > >
> > > What I will be doing is as Alex said, use the same /boot and swap
> > > partitions.  Then simply add Gentoo to the lilo.conf file already
> > > on Mandrake.
> >
> > It is also usually a good idea to have /home on its own partition,
> > and share that as well.
>
> I should have given more detail, sorry.  Mandrake is on the first
> third of my drive. My current partitions are
>
> hda1  /boot
> hda5  /
> hda6  /usr
> hda7  /home
> hda8  swap
>
> I will make new partitions for all but /boot and swap.  Is there not a
> chance that a shared /home partition might cause problems if there are
> different versions of software installed on Gentoo?

I did it for a while and never had a problem, I shared the /home and
/swap partitions between 2 distros for months. It might depend on the
software program, but most things stored in ~/ stay pretty
compatable between versions in my experience anyway.

I just got tired of rebooting...

/ There is no likelihood man can ever tap \
| the power of the atom. -- Robert        |
\ Millikan, Nobel Prize in Physics, 1923  /