On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:59:09 +0000 (UTC)
Eamon Caddigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]

> > Proper fast user switch would be such a killer cool app, I hope you
> > do it.
>
> I'd probably never do it alone. Instead: anyone else interested in
> this, please drop me an e-mail. If there's enough people willing to
> work on this, I'm sure we could have some code written soon. Mostly, I
> need help recognizing all of the potential "got'chas" that currently
> arise from running multiple Xsessions that we'll need to address.
>
> Work on the cool rotating rectangular-solid, textured with each
> desktop, can come later. ;)

You know, you _can_ run multiple xdm (wdm/gdm/kdm, whatever-dm) sessions
similar to what I mentioned.  You just need to add some lines for it in
/etc/X11/?dm/Xservers.  You can even run logins from remote systems
(assuming you've turned on that feature, I believe now it's off by
default).

So the only "problem" you need to overcome is how to avoid the clunky
<Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Fn> sequence, and that should be simple enough to code up.
 It's just a key sequence passed to the VT manager that isn't first
intercepted by X or another program that has focus.

Necessity is the mother of all hacks (and kludges, too).  I just don't
feel the necessity.  In fact, I'd rather not my kids were changing VTs/X
sessions all over :-).

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                Nemesis Racing Team motto
GPG key autoresponder:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]