As others have mentioned, 85C is simply way too hot. The max operating
temperature that AMD lists for my Athlon CPU is 75C. I've never seen it
go above 50C, by the way.

Your BIOS probably has a high-temp warning or safety available, though
it not be disabled. If the CPU temp goes above some value, it will
"warn" you, I would assume by beeping. If it goes above a higher temp,
it will simply shut the machine down. If you're truly at 85C -- note
that NO ONE other than you believes it's really that high -- it would
surely shut down. If it hasn't, you've likely greatly decreased the life
of the CPUs.

Hall