Just noting that state of pcmcia wireless 802.11b is a mess in
linux now because the cards keep changing chips/firmware.
Cards that are touted and 'works great with Linux' half a year
ago in web pages no longer work.

I should get pcmcia 802.11b to work IF I purchase an
older blat card or IF I downgrade the firmware or IF
I'm willing to use proprietary drivers and cross my
fingers that the proprietary driver will work with my
kernel.

Ouch.

I can't wait for Linux on the Desktop to emerge with
enough weight that these cards manufacturers have to
work with it and insure their cards work right.