Hold the phone a minute.

I think that we are all looking past the problem.  This problem occurred
*during* installation.  Installation was not finished, so there is no
system to *upgrade*.  The system was not installed yet...so I believe
that the correct step would be to run
        emerge -p system
followed by
        emerge system

I think that will go to the root of the problem and fix it.  :-)

Good Luck!

--Jason

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 07:21, Jonas Widarsson wrote:
> Jason Stubbs wrote:
>
> >On Thursday 20 November 2003 20:33, Jonas Widarsson wrote:
> >

> >>I'm not completely sure what emerge does, but I guess:
> >>* searches for packages and downloads them and their dependend packages,
> >>if they are not available locally or there is an update available on the
> >>internet.
> >>* compiles, builds and installs them
> >>
> >>So this leaves me another question.
> >>Before "emerge -u system" i did "emerge sync".
> >>So after "emerge gcc-config" is finished, should I have to "emerge sync"
> >>again before I "emerge -u system"?
> >>

> >In /usr/portage is what is known as the portage tree. It has three basic
> >levels.
> >- package group
> > \- package name
> >  \- package version
> >
> >Each package version is defined by an ebuild that says where to download
> >source code, how to compile and install the source code, a stability rating
> >against various architectures and other stuff.
> >
> >When you run "emerge sync" it updates /usr/portage to match what is on the
> >Gentoo servers. It is in this way that you get "notified" of all the latest
> >packages.
> >
> >So, to answer your question, an "emerge sync" is probably not necessary. If
> >"emerge -u system" still doesn't work, you can try "emerge sync; emerge
> >gcc-config; emerge -u system" but that should only fix it if the problem was
> >with the ebuild - which is very unlikely.
> >
> >Jason
> >

> Thanks for that reply. Nice.
>
> # emerge sync; emerge gcc-config; emerge -u system
> Nothing different. same error.
>
> Interresting though that the library version is ncurses-5.3-r2
> In my judgement, r2 means it is some kind of not yet stable version.
> Is it safe to proceed with installation?
> What can one do to correct this later?
>
> Of course, I'll get back to this thread if I can't (or gentoo can't) sort it out.
>
> I guess I'll try to proceed as if no error occured. The worst thing that can happen
> is to start over from scratch, but I think gentoo is such a well thought of
> distribution that you don't need to do it again when hitting errors. Fix it and
> proceed, is what I expect it to be capable of...
>
> Thanks.

Jason A. Pfeil                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Open Systems Engineer          http://www.10East.com
10East, Inc.                          (904)220-DOCS