Heh.  I did the same thing...but then it smacked me in the face.  He was
in the early stages of a stage1 install and then was trying to
*upgrade*...but there was nothing to upgrade at that point in time.  :-)

Some wise person (I think it was Sir Arthur Conan Doyle through Sherlock
Holmes) said that when all probabilities have been exhausted, whatever
remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Have a great day!

--Jason

PS:  Great name.  ;-)

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 21:00, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> On Thursday 20 November 2003 23:58, Jason A. Pfeil wrote:
> > Hold the phone a minute.
> >
> > I think that we are all looking past the problem.  This problem occurred
> > *during* installation.  Installation was not finished, so there is no
> > system to *upgrade*.  The system was not installed yet...so I believe
> > that the correct step would be to run
> >         emerge -p system
> > followed by
> >         emerge system
> >
> > I think that will go to the root of the problem and fix it.  :-)
>
> Now, I feel embarrassed. I never checked the original link that was given and
> assumed that he was at the point in the install guide where it says to
> "emerge sync; emerge -u system". Never ASSUME because you make an ASS out of
> U and ME, right? ;-)
>
> Jason

Jason A. Pfeil                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Open Systems Engineer          http://www.10East.com
10East, Inc.                          (904)220-DOCS