On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> i'm just wondering the correct way to approach this from the gentoo
> social structure.

I wouldn't worry about niceties.

> do i : 1 make the ebuild my self and contribute it

Depends on your purpose. If you want it for yourself, hack the ebuild. If
you want to be nice, contribute it. My experience is ebuilds contributed
in this fashion don't get looked at terribly quickly but that may  just
have been an anomaly.

> 2: contact the maintainer of this ebuild and ask nicly

Easier to just do it yourself.

> 3: wait

How badly do you want it?

> 4: hack the ebuild and download the file ?

That's what I do.

> it's not urgent that i have this version or anything, i'm just curiuos,
> so i can learn "how things are done"

Again, it depends on what your goal is. If you want to be a developer or
contributor, you need to play by rules. If you just want the new package
to work on your system, there are no rules.

Ric