On 13:42 Tue 06 Jan     , Daz-Manu wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I use Linux for 6 monthes now, and I've never switched from one kernel to another .
> Kernel 2.6 is out now and I'd like to use it instead of my 2.4.20-gentoo-r5 .
>
> I tryed to use it as soon as the first 2.6 was out (unstable) but it needed lot of
> configuration and I gave up . ( I could boot up but no GUI, FB, ...)
>
> 1/ Is it possible to export my 2.4.20-gentoo-r5 config to a 2.6 config ?
> (I agree , the options are differents but at least main options .)

Don't use your config from 2.4 for 2.6. Been there, done that. It will work, but
you will find subtle and not so subtle problems occuring. Take the hour or two to
go through menuconfig, read the forum on 2.4 to 2.6, and you should be fine.

> 2/ What is the difference between 2.4.20-gentoo-r5 and 2.6 (or others) from
> kernel.org ? 2.4.20-gentoo-r5 is a 2.4.20 patched ?
Best document outling the differences is the Post-Hallween document. The site is
down right now, but you can find a copy at http://lwn.net/Articles/56146/