That's very bad for me... :-( How do you find package, which offers libsomething.so.1 then?
Aren't there any plans for search engine similar to rpmfind?

how you find package by name of the file it contains?
I can list files only in packages, which are already installed.
Is it possible to see what files WILL BE installed by emerge <something>?
For example /sbin/ip - finally I found it in iproute package,
but only by chance. Does exist some utility or search engine for this?
Now I'm seeking the "host" utility.

'qpkg -f /sbin/ip' will tell you which package owns it.

there doesn't seem to be a way of finding out before installing something.