Grish wrote:

You can build the binary packages on your desktop systems, then
transfer them to your laptop. Just start installing new packages on
your desktops with emerge -b from now on. (Binary packages will appear
in /usr/portage/packages/All.) Copy the binary packages over to the
laptop, and use emerge -k <> to install them.

Using the same USE variables on the laptop and desktops is helpful,
but not required. If you want to use seperate ones, you'll find
yourself building all packages twice on your desktop.

Finally, if you have a package already installed on one of your
desktops that you are satisfied with and would like to put on the
laptop, you can use quickpkg (might need to merge it in, I forget...)
to grab the existing binaries and put them into a binary package.

Too bad I didn't know about this last week... Spent Thursday through today (Sat) installing from stage 1 on a pentium-mmx 233 (my mail server) =) figures...