Yes Brett.... (I wondered myself) I did check the tab....This
happened with 3 different mac formatted disks. I've reformatted disks
from this bundle before without problem. I ended up writing the
floppy on the other gentoo box. I use the floppy so seldom that it
could have died a couple of months ago.
        Thanks for the tip on the list. I hadn't noticed the thread but I'll
check back.

On Sunday 23 November 2003 06:24 pm, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
> Obivous question - the write protect tab was off  - yes <G>?
>
> Check back through the archives.  Someone else had a problem with a
> floppy no tlong ago - like last week or so.
>
> On Sunday 23 November 2003 19:02, you wrote:
> > I'm repairing a computer for a nonbeliever and don't have it up
> > on my lan yet. I d'loaded some soundblaster drivers and was
> > trying to write the file to a floppy. When I tried to format the
> > floppy on the Gentoo box I got  a write protected error so I
> > formatted on the wife's WinXP box and tried to mount it back
> > here:
> >
> > $ mount /mnt/floppy
> > mount: block device /dev/fd0 is write-protected, mounting
> > read-only
> >
> > relevant line in fstab looks good to me.
> > /dev/fd0            /mnt/floppy     vfat            noauto,users,auto,rw    0 0
> > Could my floppy drive have died?

Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free