Matthieu Amiguet wrote:
I'm wanting to install Gentoo onto a new (to me) system with an
empty hard drive.  The machine doesn't have a CD drive.  It does
have a good high speed connection to the Internet and a floppy
drive.

I installed gentoo on my CD-less floppyless thinkpad x31 in roughly the following way:

- boot another PC with the knoppix CD
- /etc/init.d/knoppix-terminal-server start (or something like that, I don't have the
CD here. This starts a netboot server without the need to configure it by hand)
- with a direct ethernet connexion between the knoppix box and my new laptop, net-boot
the laptop.
- use the alternate installation guide to install from knoppix and from an old usb CD
drive.

This probably isn't the easiest way to do it but... it worked.

Also, did you consider booting tomsrtbt (http://www.toms.net/rb/) from the floppy and then install from there, following the alternate installation guide and downloading the necessary stage and packages?

tomsrtbt is too old to install Gentoo from.

--
Andrew Gaffney