Tom Caudron said:
> Well, actually, I was all set to tell you the firewall was fine
> but just for fun I went out to Gibson's Shields Up test
> (www.grc.com) to see what his system said about my firewall
> script.  According to Shields Up, All my ports are in stealth mode
> except 80 (which is open) and 53 (which is closed).
[...]
> Not sure what is qualitatively different about the way
> I've opened 80 vs 53.  In fact, I list them in the beginning in a

HTTP is TCP port 80 whereas normal DNS is UDP port 53. The only
thing you use TCP port 53 for is DNS zone transfers (axfrdns does
this, but IIRC, you're not using it). I'm not sure what shield's up
tests, but usually stealth mode indicates TCP ports. Check your
protocol in your firewall setup.

-Eric

--
arctic bears - email and name services
25 email [EMAIL PROTECTED] CA$11.95/month