On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:31:50 +0800 Stephen Liu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Collins,
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> I have no intention to remove graphic login.  It is because I got
> several complaints on sound mod at boot.  I want to find out their cause
> to rectify them.  But I could not find /var/log/boot.log and other
> messages on /var/log/ did not indicate any error there.  So leaving me
> the only way is to boot to 'init 3'.
> (on RH there is another way edit /etc/inittab  change
> "id:5:initdefault"  to  "id:3:initdefault".  The Linux box will boot to
> 'init 3' after change until you change it back again.   I don't know
> whether it works on Gentoo)

Unfortunately, gentoo doesn't care about runlevel 3 or 5.  You get the graphical
login, if you have the value set in /et/rc.conf, or non-graphical in the value
is not set.

> My Gentoo box (1.4) is working without problem except some complaints on
> sound module loading at boot.  My sound server is also working.  The
> sound module,  snd-emu10k1 56116 2, has been loaded.

Sounds good.

> I could not discover the cause of complaints at boot.

Maybe these complaints can simply be ignored.

> Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving

Happy, happy for you, too!  We had a nice holiday with a sprinkling of snow, but
otherwise very warm for this time of year.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the