Jonas Widarsson wrote:
I have an Acer Aspire 1703 SM laptop.
I think the HD is an ordinary one, like those in stationary computers.
I don't know much about how todays harddrives behave, so I'm wondering whether someone has recent experience in splitting the 80 GB primary fat23 partition (the only partition there is) so I can keep the existing winXP home install and install gentoo on the end of those 80 GB and then have a dual boot XP / Gentoo?

Older Slackware Install CDs (and possible newer) distributed a utility called fips that could split a FAT16/32 partition.

http://www.igd.fhg.de/~aschaefe/fips/

--
Andrew Gaffney