I use to write code many years ago and I'm looking into getting back into it
as soon as I figure out what to start with but in the mean time I like to
contribute the best way I can right now and that's testing. :) I'm fairing
good at testing stuff and then using my programming background to get to what
I think might be the root of the problem and reporting it.

I post allot when I'm in heavy testing mode and go with the assumption that
nothing is wrong with the code and it's just a RTFM moment that I'm missing
so I post questions and see if I can fix the problem by config/userland means
and if not then I consider gathering up all I can and reporting it.

It may not seem like it but I spent days researching this portage problem
before posting anything. Somehow I missed bug report 31901. :) opps

So I like to use the ~x86 stuff. I figure if I want to use the "safe" stuff
I'll just go back to a binary distro. :)

Thanks for the input!
Robert

 wrote:

> > Thanks for the quick reply! It's probably my fault or I'm mis-reading
> > something in your reply but my system is built with
> > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
 from the beginning. The masking notes say the ~
> > should be there. Is that not correct? It's late for me here so it's
> > probably a goof on my part. :)
>

> You should only do this if you want the bleeding edge variant of packages.
> The
 stable variant (what many of us prefer to use) is selected by not
> coding the above keyword.  Many report good results with ~x86, but YMMV.
> Packages selected via ~x86 may not have undergone any (or sufficient)
> testing before being made available.  As you can see, some of the ~x86
> packages may be just plain broken.
> One cure for this would be to remove the ~x86 option, then 'emerge -p
> world.'
 You should get '-D' (downgrade) indications for any package where
> a higher version non-stable package has been emerged.  You can then
> evaluate whether to let the downgrade take place.
>
> As the old saying goes: you pays you money, you takes you chances.  If you
> like
 living on the edge, do nothing, but expect to encounter the