Matthieu Amiguet wrote:
Perhaps Oliver should have a look at poppy (http://www.cnpbagwell.com/projects.html)

From the website:
" This simple Perl script will individually read the headers of messages on a POP3 or
IMAP account and then prompt you to read, save, delete or reply to the message.  This works
great for systems with limited resources, whether that's low disk space, slow mail
connections, or no GUI's. You can selectively read your email directly from the mail server
without having to download all the huge files waiting for you. Also allows you to
selectively delete message from the server while saving others so that they can later be
downloaded from another program and/or place (read and delete from work then download the
important ones later from home).
[...]
Sample "spamkill" application included.  This small script will scan the headers of all
your email and delete those that match certain tests."

I did not try spamkill, but the poppy application works well for me.

Yep, something like that, but: mozilla and every other email client should support this, and all providers should. That would be a step forward..