Hi everybody.
I just bought a new PC which I use for number crunching.
Since I need to do I/O on very large files, I decided to go for two SATA
drive configured as RAID 0. I bought a Dell Dimension 8300, with two
120GB drives.
I haven' been able to know the details of my configuration before having
it in my hands (something doesn't work well between Dell sales dept. and
their laboratories here in Italy, they were really imbarassed but they
where unable to give me any detail except those present on their website
;-) ).
Now I'm in that situation:
-Intel i875P chipset (which, AFAIK, has two SATA slots and should be
able to do (hardware?) RAID 0)
-Promise Fasttrak S150 TX2plus PCI controller, where the two SATA hds
are actually attached.
No standard ATA hds.

RedHat 9: 'officially' supported, installs using the driver I downloaded
from the Promise website.
Mandrake 9.2: doesn't recognize the drive.

I'd like to install Gentoo on that PC (or, at least, avoid to be forced
to keep RH only because it's the only distro supporting that
controller).

My questions are:
1) Does anybody have some experience with the same Intel MB/Promise
controller?
2) Did anyone succeed in installing Gentoo on it, maybe using kernel 2.6
or the source code version of Promise driver (available 'as is' on their
website)?
3) Could it be a good idea to get rid of the Promise controller and
directly connect the drives to the MB and try to recognise the Intel
ICH5/R controller (I heard that kernel 2.6 should do the job)?

I know these questions are rather confused, but I can't mess up too much
with that PC (it's already happily crunching numbers) so I'd like to
have an idea of what I'm doing before telling my roommates 'Ok, backup
all your data 'cause I need to format drives/reinstall OS/etc...'.
I'm not in a hurry (as a temporary solution, RH does everything I need)
so even suggestions like 'Wait some time for better support / newer
kernel' are welcome.

Thanks in advance
Arturo di Gioia