Check the contents of /etc/make.profile/virtuals; e.g.

grep linux-sources /etc/make.profile/virtuals

in my case it gives sys-kernel/gentoo-sources.
You can change it, however, by changing profiles (/etc/make.profile symb.
link)

If this grep yields somethings else that's only masked then that's the
trouble...

Elton