On Dec 5, 2003, at 5:39 PM, Marius Mauch wrote:

On 12/05/03 Nathaniel McCallum wrote:

OK, here is the scenario.  Gentoo router has one routable ip and the
internal network is nat'ed.  The routable ip has a domain that
resolves to it, lets call it foobar.com.  Internally (non-routable
ips), there are hosts (FQDN=host1.foobar.com,host2.foobar.com). Is
there anyway (perhaps iptables, but probably some other software) to
automatically forward all traffic to the appropriate host from the
outside?  I know this has to be done at the packet level, but there
are some hardware solutions for this, so I thought their might be
something else out there...

You can redirect traffic based on ports or IPs, but not on hostnames as that information is not contained in the IP header, only in some higher level protocols like HTTP.
Yes, I'm aware of this. That is what I am wondering, if there is any program that actually checks the packets and forwards appropriate traffic...

Nathaniel