For me, the problem w/ gentoo as corp production is this --
Everytime I update a package, I must run a full system/application
regression test -- to be certain that *everything* still works.  This is
a *major* undertaking -- at least 2 days of full time effort.

What I really need to be able to do, is apply security patches ONLY for
3 or 6 months -- then do the update world and regression testing.  For
this to work, it is important that all other package source is still
available in case I need to do a "revdep-build".

-rdg

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 11:23, Jeff Smelser wrote:

It is vital to remember that information is not knowledge; that
knowledge is not wisdom; and that wisdom is not foresight.
  - Arthur C Clarke